Home About us Booking Driving in Spain Tag Along Holidays Accommodation Contact us
Activities Testimonials Photos Videos
Sign up for Newsletter
Driving in Spain
If you wish to see as much as possible of Spain, then having your own car is certainly the best method of transport (even if it may take you a couple of days to feel confident about driving on the opposite side of the road). As an EU citizen and a tourist, to drive a foreign registered vehicle in Spain, you must have the following with you (remember you can be fined for not having these with you) - your passport, current until after your return home.

Current driving licence, preferably the EU type with the ring of stars.
Two EU approved, red warning triangles.
For a road side emergency approved reflective jackets must be kept in the car to be worn at the roadside day or night.
A set of spare lamps/bulbs for your car and the tools to change them.
If you wear corrective glasses for driving, a spare pair.
Your number plate should be an EU one with the ring of stars containing your country code, or a small plate/sticker with your country code (GB, etc) should be secured to the rear of the car.
Valid insurance.
All vehicle documents relating to the car (legally certified copies are OK).

Recommended, but not mandatory is a First Aid kit and a fire extinguisher.

If you are from outside the EU, you will need an International Driving Licence issued by the correct authority in your home country. It must have one page of information in Spanish.

Remember that your "tourist status" in a foreign country usually applies for only three months as far as insurance is concerned, so for any longer periods, do not forget to discuss this with your broker.

The roads in Spain vary from very poor to very good, the latter especially since Spain joined the EU and has benefited from the funding from other countries over the last 20 years. The main connecting roads are generally excellent. Roads are classified thus, and they can be easily clarified on a road map.

Autopista (motorway) - A or E - prefix to road number: these can be toll roads (peajes).
Maximum speed 120 kph (73 mph).
Autovia - dual carriageway, not necessarily with a central reservation. Speed limits vary from 80 to 140 kph.
Carretera Nacional - N or CN - prefix to road number, main roads. 100 to 60 kph.
Carretera Comarcal - C - prefix, country roads. 100 to 80 kph.
Carretera Local - highway. Speeds are as signed, but usually not more than 100 kph.
Please note that the speeds are somewhat less for various classes of vehicles including towed trailers/caravans.
The traffic-lights (semaforas) in Spain are more often than not, situated only at your stop line for the junction and so you can see when they change when you are in the front of the queue, there is a set of smaller lights on the support post.

The Law for pedestrian crossings until recently is not as strict as in for example, the UK where a driver is always at fault if the vehicle hits a pedestrian on the crossing. You must step onto the crossing, remembering to look LEFT, and show the palm of your hand to any approaching vehicles. Previously, they still did not have to stop, but a new Law involving penalty points means that the drivers can be penalized now for not stopping. Many tourists are injured, some killed each year, for only looking right when crossing the road.

You may NOT overtake on the right (inside lanes) on the highways unless there is a slip road or another road indicated and you are taking it. I know this is the same elsewhere in the World where bad drivers insist on cruising in the middle lanes.

Give way to traffic from the left unless otherwise signed, especially on roundabouts. Do not pull into the middle of the road to turn left if there is a solid line in the road. There are often special lanes for this, signposted cambio de sentido (change of direction), especially on the autovias. All people in the car must wear seatbelts if fitted, and children must be in specially approved (EU) seats situated only in the rear due to possible injury by front airbags in the event of a crash. Do not drink and drive - the limits are about half those in the UK and the penalties very high including losing your licence on the spot, boosted by the new "rapid justice" Courts, as are heavy on-the-spot fines for traffic offences. You will not be allowed to leave the area until you have paid any fine or appeared in Court, including spending time in the cells if you cannot pay in cash.
As a general rule you may not park in Spain where the pavement curb is painted yellow or where a no parking sign is displayed. In major cities and now even the pueblos, non-metered on-street parking is difficult to find but in some areas, there are parking spaces marked in blue for which you should purchase a ticket from a nearby machine on the pavement usually topped with a blue and white "P" sign, or from an attendant. These spaces are usually for about two hours maximum. Penalties for parking infringements vary from town to town and can be heavy.

If you park illegally, especially in a foreign car, you will almost certainly become a victim of the 'grua' - the local tow truck, and if you suffer this, there should be a sticker left on the curb with the phone number/address of your car's new location. Getting your car back will be a hassle and will cost you dearly in fines and fees, not to mention the possible problem of you not speaking Spanish. Where possible, look for underground parking with security attendance. It's worth paying that little bit more. You will note however, despite all this advice, the Spanish will park wherever their car happens to come to a halt, even on crossings, pavements and roundabouts, but the new 2005 Laws now mean that penalty points can be given to parking transgressors.

New fine rates have recently been published, and over set limits in each location (autopista, town, etc.) you can be arrested on the spot. You are not allowed to have a radar speed detector in your vehicle, let alone use one. Speed traps are out there, not as many as the UK at the moment, but the use of speed cameras is on the increase. Fines for other offences are calculated on the severity of the offence and there is a table for the guidance of the police and Courts.

If you are a tourist without assets in Spain, all fines are payable in cash "on the spot". The legal drink-drive limit is currently 0,5 grams per litre of air using a breathalyzer. The very high death rates in Spain (in the top 3 in the "old" EU) means that if caught with excess alcohol or drugs in your body, you can expect to lose your licence (in a special Court, possibly that same day) or, if a resident, have to attend a special school.

It is compulsory for all in the car to wear seatbelts, both front and rear where fitted. The driver is responsible for any fines where passengers are not wearing an approved belt. Children under 12 years of age are not allowed in the front seats (unless they are over 150 cm or 4 ft. 9 ins, then they can unofficially get away with it. It is apparently to do with being secure in the safety belt). Also, if seated in the back, the belt must fit correctly, or a special "raising seat" must be fitted. Animals must be restrained when in the passenger section and not allowed to jump around.

Road tax and vehicle inspections
If you are using your foreign registered car in Spain for a few months (no more than six months in any calendar year is allowed) then it must be legal as far as roadworthy, insurance and road taxes are concerned. You cannot get your car MOT-ed in Spain, or even in Gibraltar, and if the certificate runs out, not only will you be illegal in Europe, but also as soon as you arrive back in the UK. Spanish vehicles have to conform to inspections also, depending on the type and use of the vehicle.

Toll/Peaje roads
Spain has over 2,000 km of toll roads and more are planned. They are of excellent standard and all have service stations with cafes of an acceptable standard every 40km or so. The tolls are expensive, especially in summer when the rates are doubled and are usually calculated per km. Some toll roads, for long distance travelling allow you to collect a ticket at the start and then pay the total when you exit the road. They do however mean that you can drive relaxed and safer over long distances as the locals usually avoid them.

As you approach the peaje (toll booth), you will be confronted with several lanes. The telepago lane is for cars fitted with a special chip on the windscreen. Automatico is for paying by credit card or the exact change and the manual has an attendant who collects your fee. All useable lanes will have a green arrow, un-usable lanes display a red cross.
Mobile telephones
The use of a mobile telephone, other than a true hands-free, whilst driving is now banned in Spain, even at the side of the road. You have to pull off the road completely away from any traffic. You may also not have any device in your ears to listen to music or your mobile phone etc., only allowed is something for enhancing your hearing, i.e. a deaf-aid. Sadly, you still see erratic driving where a mobile is in use, but penalty points can now be awarded.
Losing your licence
If you are stopped by the police or interviewed at the scene of an accident and you are showing signs of being incapable of driving the vehicle for any reason, the police are empowered to immediately take away your driving licence and you could lose it if found in breach of the Law. There are laws affecting penalty points that are different (more restrictive) for new drivers. The Spanish government is determined to reduce the high accident rates on the roads.

The above pointers are by no means exhaustive. Drivers spending any time in Spain should try to familiarise themselves with all the rules of the road, including traffic signals, signposting, road-markings, speed limits etc

The above pointers are by no means exhaustive. Drivers spending any time in France should try to familiarise themselves with all the rules of the road, including traffic signals, signposting, road-markings, speed limits etc - a good place to start is by buying a copy of the "Code de la Route", the French highway code.

By law you must adjust the direction of your headlamp beams for driving on the right, either by using the stick-on adapters or (on more modern cars) by making an adjustment to the lights. Check your manual or consult your dealer if in doubt.
Spare bulbs and fuses, first-aid kits and fire extinguishers are recommended but not a legal requirement.
Drive on the right! (it's often after a few days or weeks of successful right-side driving that UK drivers "forget", especially when pulling out of drives or small side roads - if you think you might forget try using post it notes or other steering wheel reminders before you drive off. It's preferable than the other common reminder: a French driver heading for you with lights flashing, horn blaring and fists waving!
Study the rules for priorities when entering and exiting roads, roundabouts, junctions etc; if in doubt give priority to the right. Come to a complete Stop at STOP signs
Lights flashing on a motorway means I'm coming through; it's best just to quietly move over and don't let your ego get the better of you.
Lights flashing on a country road may mean there's a police check ahead (it's illegal to flash these warnings).
It is illegal to drive on side (parking) lights at any time, and you must use your headlamps when visibility is low. There are now moves afoot to make it compulsory to drive with your headlamps on ALL the time, including in bright, sunny weather.
Motorcycles over 125cc must use dipped headlights during the day at all times.
Carry your driving licence, insurance documents and car registration documents at all times. If you are a resident then carry your carte de séjour or passport. (Spot checks are quite common, even in country areas)
If you break the rules you can expect to be fined if the gendarmes catch you out. Fines vary from around 30 euros to over 3,000 for serious speeding offences or more for drunken or reckless driving. Non-residents must pay in cash on the spot. Residents have 30 days to pay up.
Expect the unexpected. In rural areas, where roads are quiet and long (and often well maintained) the French are in the habit of driving quite fast and often drive along the centre line until another car appears. This can be alarming if encountered as you round a bend! Don't let the lack of traffic lull you into a false sense of security.
You don't need to pay any kind of road tax or display any kind of tax disc.
Your car will need an official mechanical test (Controle Technique) every two years (for cars over fours years old). If your car fails this test, you'll be given a detailed list of items that need to be amended. If it passes, you'll be given a list of items that will need attention before the next controle technique.
Speed Limits (the second figure indicating the reduced speed limit in rainy conditions).
  (1) Motorways - 130/110 km/h (81/69 mph)
(2) Dual Carriageways - 110/100 km/h (69/62mph)
(3) Other roads - 90/80 km/h (56/50mph)
(4) Built-up areas/towns - 50 km/h (31mph) or as signposted

Take care and enjoy the drive!
Home | About us | Booking | Driving in Spain | Tag Along | Holidays | Accommodation | Contact us | Disclaimer
Also see us on: Social Media:
Copyright 2013 © Spanish4x4Expedition.com